Let’s talk about important things regarding your diet and exercise to maximize weight loss during intermittent fasting. For weight loss in any diet, you should be on a calorie deficit, i.e.your calorie intake should be less than the calories you need to properly function your body[maintainence calories].
1. WHICH TIME IS MOST SUITABLE FOR INTERMITTENT FASTING?
The time totally depends on you. If you feel more hunger during mornings or you wake up early you can take 9 or 10 AM to 5 or 6 PM as your eating window. If you feel more hungry during the evening you can take 1 or 2 pm to 9 or 10 PM as your eating window.
I am a morning person. My eating window starts at 9.30 AM and ends at 4 pm.
2. FIRST THING IN THE MORNING
Take 3 to 4 tsp of lemon juice with warm water in the morning. It has so many benefits like
- It detoxifies your body.
- It gives you enough Vit C for your daily needs.
- It boosts your immune system. You are less likely to have a cough or cold.
- It stabilizes your liver enzymes which helps you to get rid of gastric troubles.
3. WHEN TO DO YOUR CARDIO OR EXERCISE?
It is recommended to do your cardio empty stomach before your eating window starts because when you do so, your body is more likely to take energy from stored fat. But if you do your exercise after breakfast most of your calories are burnt from your breakfast energy.
Note: Eat your breakfast 30 minutes after your exercise.
Intermittent Fasting and COFFEE
- Have one cup of black coffee without sugar before your cardio. Coffee helps fat cells to be used as an energy source instead of glycogen.
- Coffee also increases your metabolism, which helps you to burn more calories throughout the day.
4. HOW MUCH TO EAT DURING INTERMITTENT FASTING?
Intermittent fasting does not give you licence to eat as much as you want. Have a balanced diet with more protein, fibres and complex carbs(oats, brown rice, sweet potato). Protein helps you not to lose your muscle mass during fasting. Fibees help you to feel fuller for a long time.
5. DETOX WATER
After every meal and during fasting period drink this detox drink. This drink will boost your fat loss and suppress your hunger pangs.
400 ml water 1/2 tsp azwain(carom seeds) 1/2 tsp cinnamon and black pepper powder 1 inch ginger
Boil all the ingredients and filter it and add some lemon as per your taste. This drink helps you to detoxify your body and boosts your weight loss.
6. BREAKFAST ( 1st MEAL )
After any exercise, your body will immediately try to rebuild its glycogen stores as well as repair and regrow those broken down muscle proteins. So it’s particularly important to eat both carbs and protein after working out.
here is the breakfast which I took during my IF period.
2 whole eggs or 4 egg whites(vegetarians can take sprouts of moong,gram and soyabean or Paneer) 1 small bowl of oats or daliya with full cream milk 1 fruit of your choice(apple,guava,pear or papaya)
Don’t take too much of high carb fruits like grapes, mango, oranges and banana. I am not saying that these fruits are not healthy but you have to lose weight so instead take papaya, apple, guava or watermelon.
7. 2nd MEAL
Take the meal which is low in calorie high in fibre and makes you feel full for a long time. I have taken below-mentioned meal as my second meal
1 capsicum 1 onion 1/4 cabbage 1 Tomato + cinnamon and black pepper powder and rock salt some french beans mushrooms and broccoli 1 green chilli ginger and garlic
Boil all the veggies and add some lemon juice to it.
- Take a big bowl of these vegetables. These are low in calories, high in fiber and micronutrients.
- You can take it once or twice as per your wish.
8. FINAL MEAL
Take your last meal of the day half an hour before the start of your fasting window. This meal should be a full meal.
1 small bowl of DAAL(pulses) fried veggies (capsicum,beans,cabbage and paneer) 2 multigrain roties (oats + jwar + baajra + gram + wheat) salad(cucumber,onion,tomato) 1 cup buttermilk
9. IMPORTANCE OF SLEEP
Studies have shown that during intermittent fasting there is a significant increase in Growth Hormone which increases your BMR (basal metabolic rate) and you burn more calories.
- But increase in Growth Hormone only occurs when you take a good night sleep. You should take at least 7 to 8 hours of peaceful sleep at night.
- Do not take black coffee or tea 1 to 2 hours before you sleep, instead, you take detox drink.
- Excess tea and coffee can cause you to sleep troubles.
So friends, start your weight loss journey with full determination and maximize your intermittent fasting results.
You Might Like: 1. Intermittent Fasting for Insane Fat Loss 2. The 5 Hacks To Burn More Fat
Dr Rashmi Singh is a dental surgeon by profession. A doctor by day and writer by night. Mother of two lovely children and a fitness freak. Her passion is to help people who want to lose weight and stay fit.